Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Bob's Favorites

Red Hot, Down & Dirty Blues Guitar Tracks Vol 01 (1951-1974)

01. Guitar Slim - The Story Of My Life (1954)                       
02. Little Joe Blue - You Keep My Nose To The Grindstone (Live 1974)
03. Albert Collins & His Rhythm Rockers - Freeze (1958)             
04. Ike Turner - Cubano Jump (1954)                                 
05. James Cotton & Pat Hare - Cotton Crop Blues (1954)              
06. B.B. King - She Don't Move Me No More (1952)                    
07. B.B. King - 3 O'clock Blues (1950)                              
08. Sly Williams - Boot Hill (Mid-Late 1950s)                       
09. Fenton Robinson - The Getaway (1970)                            
10. Magic Sam & Shakey Jake Harris - Call Me If You Need Me (1958)  
11. Magic Sam - Magic Rocker (1957)                                 
12. Pee Wee Crayton - You Know Yeah (1954)                          
13. Pee Wee Crayton - Runnin' Wild (1955)                           
14. Pee Wee Crayton - The Telephone Is Ringing (1956)               
15. Freddie King - I'm On My Way To Atlanta (1962)                  
16. Freddie King - Low Tide (1965)                                  
17. Earl Hooker - Guitar Rag (1969)                                 
18. Earl Hooker - Earl's Boogie Woogie (1953)                       
19. Clarence Gatemouth Brown - She Winked Her Eye (1951)            
20. Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Dirty Work At The Crossroads (1953)  
21. Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Ain't That Dandy (1956)              
22. Albert King - Travelin' To California (1962)                    
23. Albert King - Cold Feet (1968)                                  
24. Johnny Guitar Watson - Those Lonely, Lonely Nights (1955)       
25. John Lee Hooker Jr. & Charlie Grimes - Superlover (Live 1972)

13 comments:

  1. thanx Bob.. always look forward to these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that moze, glad you're enjoying the compilations.

      Delete
  2. This is a great guitar compilation indeed Bob , i believe i have it all except 1 : Little Joe Blue - You Keep My Nose To The Grindstone (Live 1974) . I have 2 versions of this song but they are studio-recordings , one is from the CD Greatest Hits and the other from a 45(Soul Set 103) that i downloaded from Xyros's site . I wonder where your live version is from . Kind regards , Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Marc, Soul Set 103. I had the 45 back in the 70s. If you google Little Joe Blue Soul Set it comes up with both sides of the 45.

      Delete
  3. Names from the top drawer here Bob. Good choices. I too prefer BB King's earlier recordings. Later on he perfected, relied on his vibrato and for me lost some spontaneity and became predictable. Mind you he could lead a good band but he seemed to take his playing to a dead end. Someone who didn't do that was Freddie King. Of all the blues guitarists I've enjoyed he had the most licks, just a constant stream of ideas. Saw him on The Old Grey Whistle Test years ago, absolute dynamite. Saw Albert King live in Bisbane last century. He walked off halfway through the set disgusted with his backing band and left us all sitting there. He was a bit grumpy. Enjoyed Live Wire Blues Power in the 60's though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it Albert. I saw BB twice and Freddie once. Never had a chance to see Albert, but he's my favourite post war guitar player, sadly it seems his concerts were often spoilt by his grumpiness.

      Delete
    2. Albert, interesting what you say of Freddie King, "...he had the most licks, just a constant stream of ideas." This was the reason I put the track 'Low Tide' up rather than one of his better know numbers like 'Hideaway' or 'I'm Tore Down'. 'Low Tide' is not a very well known track by Freddie but it's one of his most remarkable recordings, he just bursts forth with lick after lick after lick, just churning them out. It's really astonishing and I feel worn out at the end every time I hear that track.

      Delete
    3. Listening to Low Down now. I agree. He's really talking with his guitar. Putting himself into it. You can almost see him remonstrating, wagging his finger at us! As Townes Van Zandt was to songwriting so Freddie King was to blues guitar (for me) all feeling. This is how many good British guitarists would like to play. Read an interesting quote from Lightning Hopkins in the 60's "the english want to play blues guitar badly and they play blues guitar badly". Bit harsh. There might be others as good as Freddie but I don't think there's better. I'll shut up now.

      Delete
    4. I interviewed Freddie King for a blues music magazine, I think 1976, the focus from me was on his classic output, the King/Federal years, but he preferred to talk about his current recordings, the Shelter sessions and things he was doing with EC and Leon Russell. We got on well and had many laughs but there was this strange thing going on, me pulling the interview one way and Fred pulling it the other way.

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for this blues guitar compilation, and for
    the introductory write-up in today's Daily Chat. I love this stuff, and I think you've provided some extremely apt descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crab Devil, it was fun to put together, later on I'll put a 2nd Vol together.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Bob! Loud electric guitar based blues is my favorite. There is plenty of room for more volumes in the vein too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi tsi&hrjs, yes plenty of room for future volumes, that's why I called it vol 1. Actually there's very little, if anything, in Vol 1 that the average blues fan hasn't already heard. But all the obvious greats are there and had to be dealt with, future volumes will have more surprises.

    ReplyDelete