Thursday, August 31, 2023

 The Daily Chat

A chatbox where we can post comments and have discussions on artists & songs. However, if you just want to say thank you for a particular post then please continue using the usual comment box located below each post.

Today's Assorted Recordings - Blues, R&B, Soul & Gospel Volume 28 (1959-2021) kicks off with some early Albert King then continues with tracks from The Isley Brothers, Erma Franklin, Little Milton, Wilson Pickett, Baby Washington, Big Daddy Wilson, Alvin Robinson and others, including the country/rockabilly singer Sleepy LaBeef doing an old classic blues song.

And Rockabilly & Early Rock & Roll Recordings Volume 48 - Flip, Flop And Fly - Early R&R Cover Songs. As I mentioned a couple of months ago I've moved away from general compilations with the other genres and focusing now on specific themes, where all the tracks are connected in some way. As the compilations I make are all numbered they have to wait their turn to be posted, so the specific themes are only now starting to appear. In today's compilation we have a collection of well knowns and a few virtually unknowns doing their cover versions of great songs. Featured here are: Conway Twitty, Vernon Taylor, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, Marvin Jackson, Bobby Vee, Merrill Moore, and several others. 

Today's photo is a shot of Bo Diddley I took in Perth, Australia in 1974. During the 1970s I was fortunate to meet numerous visiting American blues artists when they were on tour of Australia. However I usually got to spend only an hour or two in their company as they would fly in, do a concert, spend the night, and fly out the following day. Bo Diddley was an exception as on one of his trips to Perth he was booked to do several additional nightclub appearances, as well as performances at a couple of local pubs, which meant he was in town for about a week. This gave me the opportunity to spend considerable time with Bo and I got to know him pretty well. As all his appearances were in the evenings he didn't have anything to do during the days, so myself and my girlfriend would visit him at his hotel, then take him out and about. He was a fun guy to be with as he had a crazy sense of humor. Unfortunately a few of his performances at the local clubs and pubs were not particularly good due to Bo being backed by local pub bands who were not blues bands and didn't know his material well, if at all. Luckily, the very first time I saw Bo play live, at the Perth Concert Hall, he was backed by a good local blues band, and together they rocked like hell. On a good night Bo Diddley could whip a crowd into a drooling twitching frenzy as that infectious driving beat of his wormed its way into every cell of your body.

Bob Mac With Bo Diddley, Perth, Australia 1975

Anyway my friends. Dig in. Dig the great music here. And don't forget to take a few seconds to post those comments.

Also note that there's now a "My Followers" list to the blog, so please add yourself to the list. And remember, now that this blog is public all music fans are welcome here, therefore feel free to spread the word around your friends and share the blog address.

https://countrybluessoul.blogspot.com/


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I sure did, and I wish I still had a bit of it on top of my head today. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Mike, glad you enjoyed it. I've got quite a few stories and tell them here from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Kool picture Bob! I got to see Bo perform twice (1970 and mid 2000's), but never got to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tsi&hrjs, Bo was certainly a massive influence on the music of his time. I'm glad to have met him and spent many hours chatting with him. 😁

      Delete
  4. Wow Bob you got to hang out with Bo ...........very cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cabledogg2, yep, Bo was a fun guy to be with. 😁

      Delete