Sunday, April 14, 2024

 The Daily Chat

A chatbox where we can post comments and have discussions on artists & songs. However, if you just want to say thank you for a particular post then please continue using the usual comment box located below each post.

When Fat's Domino toured Australia in October 1975 there were two giants of New Orleans R&B in his band: Dave Bartholomew and Lee Allen. The Perth press reception was held at the Parmelia Hotel in the afternoon, a couple of hours after the entourage had arrived and checked in. By the time I got there Fats and the band were already at the reception and there were several reporters from the newspapers, along with TV camera crews, all concentrating on Fats Domino and bombarding him with questions. I knew I didn't have much chance competing against that lot so I glanced around the room and recognized Dave Bartholomew and Lee Allen standing against a wall towards the rear of the room. So I wandered over, introduced myself, we shook hands and started chatting. It was wonderful as I had these two legends entirely to myself for about half an hour. I didn't interview them per se, or run a tape, but I do remember we talked about Cosimo Matassa, and Guitar Slim, and Archibald, and a few other New Orleans R&B artists. It really was a pleasure to spend some time talking with those two great musicians.

There are three more compilations for your listening pleasure today. Two in the blues/R&B/soul genres, and another volume in the very popular  "Rockabilly & Early Rock & Roll", which is now up to Volume 68. Featured today is a collection of interesting cover songs from Wanda Jackson, Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich, Johnny Burnette, Ricky Nelson, The Collins Kids, Sleepy LaBeef, Mac Curtis, Sonny West, along with several other well and lesser known performers.

Bob's Basement continues to provide you with lots of interesting albums, most generously shared by several of the blog regulars. As always many thanks to all of them, what they are doing is very much appreciated. We have had some format issues with the basement, and I'm still looking at solutions and experimenting with alternatives. Several people have offered suggestions and I thank all of them, I do take every suggestion onboard and consider them carefully. I think I have now settled on the best format for the basement and will be having a test run in the near future.

As always my friends, dig in, enjoy all the great music you find here, and don't forget to thank the various posters. 

8 comments:

  1. A very interesting anecdote Bob - TYVM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob, I always enjoy your writings about your younger days meeting some interesting people mostly from musical backgrounds. compared to you i have led a sheltered life 😎 Keep up the good work. Mike. ✌️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, glad to hear you enjoy my yarns.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the others responding here: your music-related anecdotes from earlier in life are always highly enjoyable, and this particular write-up is no exception. What a treat it must have been to chat with Dave Bartholomew and Lee Allen on that occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crab Devil. Yes it was fun and very interesting back then to meet so many of my musical idols. I was freelancing for a couple of blues magazines.

      Delete