Thursday, June 6, 2024

 The Best Of Country, Pre-War & Acoustic Blues Vol 58

Cities & Places Vol 02 - Way Down In Arkansas

01. Hambone Willie Newbern - Way Down In Arkansas 
02. Scott Dunbar - Memphis Mail 
03. The Charioteers - Way Down Yonder New Orleans 
04. Bo Weavil Jackson - Jefferson County Blues 
05. Robert Nighthawk - Jackson Town Gal 
06. Al Cook - Mississippi Women Blues 
07. Bumble Bee Slim - Going Back To Florida 
08. Sam Theard - That's Chicago's South Side 
09. Rory Block - Joliet Bound 
10. Scrapper Blackwell - Kokomo Blues 
11. Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup - Chicago Blues 
12. Clarence Greene - Johnson City Blues 
13. Willie Jackson - Old New Orleans Blues 
14. Ramblin’ Jack Elliott - San Francisco Bay Blues 
15. Curtis Jones - Highway 51 Blues 
16. Creole George Guesnon - Mississippi Town 
17. Jim Jackson - Jim Jackson's Kansas City Blues 
18. Doctor Clayton - Angels In Harlem 
19. Julius Daniels - Richmond Blues 
20. Stovepipe No 1 - Cripple Creek & Sourwood Mountain 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks Bob for these three new deliveries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Bob! (ノ´▽`)ノ♪

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a message yesterday, but I think it disappeared into the void.
    Anyway, really enjoy the Pre-War stuff. Scott Dubar sounds like he's having a good time recording Memphis Mail.
    And, is that a hair-comb wax paper intro on Cripple Creek & Sourwood Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moezeke, yes it's weird how messages sometimes don't appear, it happens to me as well on some blogs. Anyway, glad you enjoy it. I'll have another listen later to that track and see if I can identify the intro.

      Delete
    2. here we are Mr Mac...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rgo_4F5dHg

      Delete
    3. Moezeke, yes but it may well me a kazoo, I'm traveling at the present time, I'll have another listen to the track in question soon. 👍

      Delete
    4. There's a kazoo and a jug. I listened to the track then looked up the session details. I'm not sure that any early country bluesmen actually used a comb and paper, especially as kazoos and jugs were so common. Anyway, always good to learn these things, so thanks for pointing it out. 👍

      Delete
    5. Hey Mr Mac...
      When I was a young kid (pre teens) we used this kind of improvisation of the kazoo. In fact kazoo's were hard to came by. And any kid wouldn't waste their money on a kazoo anyway, when they could buy a soda or ice cream. After woulds they could whip out their small plastic pocket comb (all the young lads had greasy pompadour haircuts) and small piece of paper and play a few bars of The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze.
      Also, I vaguely remember my Dad buying me a small yellow Ocarina which they used to call a Sweet Potato at the Drug Store... where they also sold crystal sugar candy. Dating myself!
      But... Cripple Creek & Sourwood Mountain is a hoot, regardless.

      Delete
    6. Hi Moezeke, in Australia where I grew up many kids also played the comb and paper, also some used gum leaves for much the same effect. Anyway, glad you enjoyed that rare track, and thanks for your interesting comments.

      Delete