Thursday, August 13, 2026

 Eddie Cochran - Eddie's Blues (1959)




A magnificent piece of electric blues guitar playing recorded in August 1959, just 8 months prior to Eddie's death in a car crash in London in April 1960. One can only imagine if Eddie hadn't of died so early (at age 21) what would he be playing a few years later when the big blues guitar boom happened in UK & USA?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you are right!!! that is a fantastic piece of guitar playing, if i would have heard it without knowing who it was i would never have guessed it was Eddie Cochran. Thanks for this Bob!! Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, Eddie was tearing it up. I've read this track was recorded very late at night, Eddie had been playing session guitar for another artist's recordings and then at the end of the session they fooled around and had a little blues jam, and this was it. Like Lonnie Mac, Eddie had obviously been listening closely to the black blues guitar players of the time.

      Delete
  2. Let me just second what you're saying. I've always thought of Eddie as a brilliant guitarist, whether he was playing pop, rock 'n' roll / rockabilly, blues, country, or whatever -- and all the more so since I've come to learn (from collections that have been released over the years) about the seemingly innumerable recordings by OTHER artists which he worked on as a session player. Thanks for this feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crab Devil, yes Eddie was a remarkable gifted performer. I remember reading, I think it was one of the Beatles, George or John, saying that when Eddie toured UK, all the future big name people, like the Beatles, Eric Clapton, the guys who later became the Rolling Stones, were all there at the shows mesmerized by what Eddie was playing.

      Delete