Friday, April 28, 2023

 The Daily Chat

A chatbox where we can post comments and have discussions on artists & songs. However, if you just want to say thank you for a particular post then please continue using the usual comment box located below each post.

"Assorted Blues, R&B, Gospel & Soul Recordings", now up to Volume 54, gives you 21 great tracks starting from the Detroit Count's "I'm The Woogie Man"/"Pullet And Hen Blues", recorded for Bluebird in Chicago in 1940, through to a couple of Big Daddy Wilson songs from 2019. Other fine artists included here today are: Big Mama Thornton, Maxine Davis, Johnny Wright, Eugene Johnson, Inez Foxx, and Dave Baby Cortez.

And "Rockabilly & Early Rock & Roll Recordings Volume 31" includes such greats as Ronnie Hawkins, Elvis Presley, Wanda Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Conway Twitty, Dale Hawkins, and Larry Collins. I very much enjoy watching those old B&W videos of the young Larry Collins playing guitar, he was so energetic and such a skillful player. However, he didn't seem to do much after the Collins Kids. I did read Larry got into recording other artists. Perhaps some of our Rockabilly & Country music fans from the USA could tell us more about Larry Collins.

Finally, as I reported yesterday, I dropped the passwords idea within a few hours of introducing it. I received so many requests, and as soon as I sent the PW out, people sent me more emails thanking me for the passwords, so my inbox quickly became inundated with emails, and it all became too confusing trying to sort it out. 

Anyway, I don't want to harp on about comments, but within hours of announcing I was going to put passwords on folders I received requests for the PW from members who had never made one comment since this blog started, or who haven't made a comment for many months. As I've mentioned a few times, I'm not the sort of guy who is looking for adoration, nonetheless, a thank you here and there is very much appreciated. But the main reason is comments are how we can tell how many followers we have. There's a limit of 100 members on these blogs, so if 20 or 30 members never make a comment we don't know if that person is still following the blog or if they have totally lost interest and moved on. 

Some of you comment daily, others make a comment at least once a week. I know who you are, and you are very valued members of my blog. I don't want to be laying down the law and reading out the riot act but I expect all members who visit this blog and download to make a brief comment at least once a month, or once every couple of months if you just drop by periodically. 

This blog has been going for 7 months now, and it's a bit shameful if you have never once made a comment to say "Thanks Bob" in 7 months, but you shoot me an email within 7 minutes of learning I'll be putting passwords on the folders. 

So that's it. I have lists of all the good people who post regular comments, and I have lists of the silent ones. If I don't start hearing from more of you over the months to come I will start deleting some to make room for new people. Up to you, as they like to say in Thailand.



10 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, Glad you have come to a decision about some inactive members and will make room for someone who will use and enjoy this great place you have created for some outstanding music, Thanks for being here. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, yes the above are my final words on this matter. Soon I'll start taking new members on.

      Delete
  2. As for personal experiences, we find Passwords very useful, because search engines can track down links for none members of this blog. Since we have added a password (which is visible on our blog) the amount of "stolen" downloads has been reduced by almost 90%. ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this info Maren, that's good to know. So far I'm not aware of any compilations from my blog ending up elsewhere, but if it does begin to happen then I certainly will introduce PWs.

      Delete
  3. I don't know a whole lot about Larry Collins' career, other than that the two "kids" did occasionally reunite for performances during the 1990s. However, what you've mentioned about Larry's working with other artists does ring a bell. Together with Sandy Pinkard, he co-wrote "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma," which was a fairly big country hit in 1981 as recorded by David Frizzell and Shelly West. Alas, the melody turned out to be undeniably similar to that of "Rocky Top." So Collins and Pinkard were successfully sued by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, and this latter pair were then acknowledged as co-writers of the song as well. (A few years after that, I happened to become acquainted with some session musicians who were not particularly impressed by the song, not even if it had taken four people to write. They were referring to it as "You're the Reason God Left Oklahoma.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting read Crab Devil, thanks for giving us this info. It's often the way that many of these child stars and child prodigies fade away when they become adults. I guess other interests take over their lives. Larry is 78 now.

      Delete