Saturday, October 21, 2023

 Albums That Deserve Another Listen

    Jimmy Patton - Yah! I'm Movin' (Star-Club Records CD 506009)
                             

The complete recordings of Jimmy Patton, recorded between 1955 and 1976.

01. Yah! I'm Movin'
02. Okie's In The Pokie
03. Love Come Back To Me
04. Let Me Slide 
05. I'm Not Shuckin'
06. Blue Moon Of Kentucky 
07. Taxes Are Going Up Again 
08. Going Home With The Blues
09. White Lightning 
10. Make Room For The Blues
11. Brush Me From Your Shoes 
12. Apartment #9
13. Can't Bear The Thought Of Losin'
14. Big Blue Diamonds
15. Pick Me Up On Your Way Down 
16. Sawmill
17. Worst Of Luck
18. April Fool's Day
19. Ragged But Right
20. Blue Darlin' 
21. Out Of My Life
22. Red Necks, White Socks, Blue Ribbon Beer
23. What Will I Do With All Those Memories
24. Careful 
25. Guilty

Jimmy Patton, US Country & Rockabilly singer. Born Oscar James Patton, 28 October 1931, Berwin, Oklahoma. Died 25 June 1989, Portland, Oregon.

Jimmy Patton was basically a country singer and not a very successful one at that, but his claim to fame lies in a couple of ferocious rockabilly recordings, most notably "Okie's In the Pokie", "Yah! I'm Movin'" and "Let Me Slide".

Born on a farm in Oklahoma, Patton and his family moved to Springfield, Oregon in 1943. It was here that Jimmy began to take music seriously and took all chances to sing and play wherever he could. He had a job as a rodeo rider which came to an abrupt end when he broke his arm in July 1953. Jimmy did his first recording in 1955, for the Sims label which was then based in Sun Valley, California, although the recordings were made in Fabor Robinson's home studio in Malibu. Three singles were released during 1955, the first of which was "Careful" (a duet with Ann Jones) c/w "Guilty" (Sims 103). This was still old-fashioned hillbilly, sung in a high pitched voice, not unlike Charlie Feathers' Sun recordings.

Jimmy had the opportunity to appear at the "Big D Jamboree" in Dallas, Texas, a famous country show. He loved straight hillbilly and country music, but when Elvis Presley hit the scene with explosive power, Patton decided to jump on the bandwagon. He was playing the clubs in Los Angeles when he was discovered by Woody Fleener, owner of Sage & Sand Records in Hollywood. Jimmy recorded four tracks, all his own compositions, for the label at the Sunset Recording studio on 5653 Hollywood Boulevard. Guitar wizard Roy Lanham was among the session musicians, the others were Freddie Haynes on piano, Lawrence Wootten on bass and Ralph Gleason on drums.

"Yah! I'm Movin'"/"Love Come Back To Me" was released on Sage 261 in early 1958 and sold about 2000 copies. "I'm Not Shuckin'" came out on a various artists LP in 1959 (Sage LP 22), while the fourth track from this session, "Let Me Slide" was first released by Ronnie Weiser in 1972 on a Rollin' Rock EP, along with the three other Sage & Sand tracks. Jimmy's next session took place in Phoenix, Arizona, probably in 1959, with Donnie Owens on lead guitar. Out of this session came the frantic "Okie's In the Pokie", released on Sims 117 in September 1960. 

Though "Okie's In the Pokie" was probably his biggest seller, Jimmy made no further attempts to record rock 'n' roll. By the time of his next session, he had switched to country and did an entire album, called "Take 30 Minutes With Jimmy Patton" (Stereotone LP 1002, 1961). These tracks, recorded in Bakersfield, California, with his own band, are miles removed from the rather primitive 1955 recordings and show Patton to have a strong, expressive voice with a very wide range. "Taxes Are Going Up Again" was selected as a single release from the LP.

A second album, "Blue Darling" was cut at Columbia Studios in Nashville and released in early 1965 (Sims LP 127). Session men included Autry Inman and Billy Grammer (guitars) and Hargus 'Pig' Robbins (piano). Jimmy would later reissue the LP, with two extra tracks, on his own Sourdough label. Come 1967, Patton recorded for the Moon label in Portland, Oregon, where he had two albums released in 1967 and 1976, plus four singles. After a temporary retirement from the music business, Jimmy went back to performing in 1981 and recorded a couple of cassettes that he sold at shows.

In the mid-1980s he was involved in a serious car crash, but made a recovery. In June 1989, Patton was on his way home from a show when a drunk driver drove through the red light and hit Jimmy's van in full speed. Jimmy was taken to Emanuel Hospital in Portland where he died a few days later. A gifted singer and songwriter had passed away too early.

https://pixeldrain.com/u/KXPWK18e

15 comments:

  1. I will certainly give this a listen, Thanks Bob. Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, if you've never heard "Yah! I'm Movin'" before then turn it up full blast and brace yourself.

      Delete
  2. Although I already have this album, I'm delighted to see it featured here. Incidentally, I was fortunate not only to pick up several of the Rollin' Rock releases as they originally came out, but also to see (since I had by the late 70 moved to the Los Angeles area) several of the associated artists perform live. Those included Ray Campi, Jackie Lee Cochran, Tony Conn, the Blasters, and many, many others. However, I think I first heard of Jimmy Patton by way of an alternative version (on Crown) of the Sage LP mentioned above. And I'm pretty sure the first time I heard Jimmy's two wildest tracks would have been on one of the amazing, albeit "unofficial" compilations on the Australian label Wendi. In any case, I'd like to second what you've said to Mike about turning up and blasting "Yah! I'm Movin'" -- and I'd like to say the same about "Okie's In The Pokie" as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting post Crab Devil. Back in the 1970s I obtained many rare LPs/EPs/45s through my connections with the Australian Blues Society, and the Australian Rock & Roll Appreciation Society. I think I had all the Rollin' Rock releases but unfortunately I sold off my entire vinyl collection some years ago. These days I have MP3 copies of most of them. I wasn't at all familiar with the Wendi label and had to look it up. I see most of their releases were in the early 1980s. This was the time I went to live in Thailand and as it was pre-internet I was off the scene for ages. It wasn't until about 1995 that I got my first computer, and a couple years after that got into internet and reconnected with the world of music and blues research, and started building my current collection of digital music.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Bob, I have this at a very low bit rate so hoping to up grade. Only have one other of his albums:-Jimmy Patton - Blue Darlin - 1964 (Sims 127)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ted, my copy of this album is 320. Everything I post on this blog is 320. So it's an upgrade for you. I don't have the Jimmy Patton album you mention here (Sims 127) so if it's ever possible to get a copy to me I'd be delighted to hear it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob, just listened to this and it is the kind of rockabilly that i like "No Frills" just plain old good music also like his turn at country with Pick me up on your way down and White lighting and did anyone else hear some familiarity with Long Tall Sally in the song "Yah! I'm Movin'" , anyway it is a rocker and i do love it. Thanks Bob. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Mike. Yes, it's solid 'no frills' rock & roll/rockabilly. I haven't noticed any similarity of that song to any others, but I guess there are many rock & roll songs that bear similarities to others.

      Delete
  5. Sorry Bob, i meant to say "Jailhouse Rock" as the song that it sounds like. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monsieur Jujube, glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this, Bob! Can't wait to listen to it!

    ReplyDelete