Thursday, September 3, 2026

 Bob's Chat

As mentioned in my last chat, today sees the first in a 60 volume set of compilations in flac format. I think most of you will appreciate getting this music in flac, however anyone who prefers MP3-320 can easily convert the tracks. There are plenty of free file convertors available. Human Media is a pretty good one (https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/) and has version for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Also here is "Blues, R&B, Soul & Gospel Records" now up to Volume 301. These remain in MP3-320 format. I have made a few volumes in this series in flac, but they'll be coming to you later on. For the time being this series remains in MP3.

And another fine album for you by John Renbourn, his 1971 album "Faro Annie". This is, I believe, John's most bluesy album.

Finally, while taking my morning walk through the rice fields of NE Thailand today I was thinking what if I was to meet someone who had never in their whole life heard blues/R&B music. They had absolutely no idea what it sounded like, and they asked me to play them just one blues/R&B track that would introduce them to the music. What would I play?

I reckon I'd reach for Elmore James. Dust My Broom/Dust My Blues. Perhaps the Trumpet recording with Elmore and Sonny Boy. Or maybe that live "Please Find My Baby" with the Ike Turner band. I can't really think of a finer introduction to the blues than Elmore James. 

So how about you guys? If you were to play just one track for someone to introduce them to blues/R&B music, what would you put on?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob, my choice would be anything by Jimmy Reed but #1 choice would be Hush Hush. Mike. 🎶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice Mike, Jimmy Reed certainly had a huge influence. His songs have probably been covered by more artists than any other bluesman.

      Delete