Saturday, January 28, 2023

 The Daily Chat

A chatbox where we can post comments and have discussions on artists & songs. However, if you just want to say thank you for a particular post then please continue using the usual comment box located below each post.

Today's 'Very Best Of Blues, R&B, Soul & Gospel Recordings Volume 05' features 20 great tracks from 1949-2010 by LaVern Baker, John Brim, James Cotton, Mel Brown, Z.Z. Hill, K.C. Douglas, and several other fine blues/R&B/Soul artists.

And Volume 1 in a brand new series 'The Best Of Country, Pre-War & Acoustic Blues', which is an expanded version of the old 'Country Blues' series, which was a bit limited. This newer series allows for many more artists, both pre & post war, who were not country blues artists. Kicking Volume 1 off is Tommy Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Sleepy John Estes, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Big Bill Broonzy, Roosevelt Sykes, Rev. Gary Davis, and many others.

I find this country/pre-war series the most difficult to compile as it's so much harder to find good sounding tracks. A great many country blues and pre-war recordings just sound dreadful, and I won't use them. Also many are LP rips, and they have problems too...hiss and clicks. So the best source are CD reissues that have been cleaned up, and that is what I've mainly been searching for to make up these compilations. 

And today's photo is the great Son House, taken at some festival. An interesting photo as we see him holding an acoustic guitar and not the steel body National resonator guitar that we usually associate with Son House.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy today's compilations. As always, dig in, enjoy the music, and don't forget to leave a comment now and then to let me know who is around and who likes what.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bob Mac thanks for all the hard work you do here. When I saw the Very Best of Blues series I thought it was the repost of the Best of Blues series. But it is not. I decided that I made a mistake not to take the ones that were posted, although the time to listen is not infinite. Anyway I went back to grab them even late. I realize that there are some dead links (11,12,16,17,18,28,29,30,31,32,34,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,49,50,51) mostly of imagenetz. If you are able at some time to post also krakenfiles it would be great. In any case I am grateful for all the music you put here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Little Bill, thanks for letting me know there are dead links. I was under the impression the links would remain active for a year or longer. Anyway, not much I can do about it at the moment, maybe later on I can go through, but I'm kinda limited in how much time I can spend on this. BTW there won't be any reposting of series here, just continuous new series. Often with just slight variations in the name.

      Delete